Ahh, we all encounter someone from time to time that pushes an internal button and, like most of us, you will find the person annoys the heck out of you. Recently, I was asked to appear on FOX to answer how to address this common, yet irritating issue. To find resolve, follow this 5 step plan to let go of your internal button:
1. Understand Your Reaction: What is my reaction about? What am I defending?
2. Me, be defensive?: You defend that which feels vulnerable. What is that vulnerability in you that you don’t want others to see?
3. Acceptance: How can you apply greater acceptance and non-judgment to that vulnerablity? What is the benefit to you having this vulnerability?
4. Tell the Difference between Truth vs Falsehood: What about having that vulnerability isn’t true that feels inappropriately put on you?
5. Honor More of You: By acknowledging the truth vs the falseness to what is pushing your button, you are able to honor yourself more fully. In other words, you create further acceptance of yourself, which allows you to more honestly discriminate what is and is not your truth. As you share your acceptance and clarity with the person who once annoyed you, you will find your internal button diminishing right before your eyes!
Live Emotionally Conscious & Exceptionally Well,